What a week!

As I step back and reflect on this week, I am so excited about the possibilities at Branson!  I started my week finding some resources for classes to use to be able to annotate onto PDF’s.  Read and Write for Google and Kami are 2 new chrome extensions that work great for this!  For that teacher to be able to implement something that fast was amazing!

Tuesday, the high school principal and I went on a site visit to Ozark High School where I was able to see in action the power of technology in every student’s hands and the impact it can have on learning.  Engagement, higher level thinking opportunities and efficiency were results I saw in action.  We also got to take a look at the “tech space” where students and staff help make it all happen!  I am very thankful for colleagues that take time out of their busy day to meet with me/us (thanks Amy)!

20150901_102924            20150901_103052

I finished my day meeting with another building’s tech committee, which was engaging and fun!  I’ve had the privilege of meeting with several buildings tech committees and am so excited about the possibilities for professional development for our staff this year.  As we plan for specific, relevant and important PD, I am thankful for teachers who are ready to help make it happen and principals giving it the time it needs/deserves!

Thursday I visited a 5th grade classroom to observe digital readers and writers notebooks and the lesson that was taught!  Students were engaged and had some amazing work!  They were so excited to share their stories with me.  It was also great to see the teacher engaged digitally and physically with her students as they worked in groups.  Bonus: I got an email from one of them during the class (when they were allowed to use email) as well!  Good stuff!!

20150903_132532             20150903_131811

Friday may have been the highlight of my week though as I got to meet and participate in a workshop with Eric Sheninger (@E_Sheninger)!  I was planning to see him in November and was informed he was coming to Spokane, MO earlier and decided to make it happen!  I have followed him on Twitter for a while and am currently reading his book Digital Leadership!  He was phenomenal and I sat there shaking my head for most of the day agreeing with many of his ideas and thoughts!  (He encouraged us all to start ‘that blog we’ve been putting off’ as well…)

2 questions resonated with me from his talk…1) are your students prepared for THEIR world? and 2)  how do you define digital leadership?

This video describes an “active learner.”  I love her statement of  “my school has to keep up with me!”  Another example is this painting image….it begs the question, if the top image is school and the bottom image is life, are we preparing our students for THEIR world/life?   I know the Branson School District will continue to give students the opportunity to dream big, be themselves and be prepared for life!

school vs life sized

(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/)

Digital Leadership – what does it mean to you?  I like these 7 pillars…

digital leadership

(www.teachthought.com)

Wow…what a week!  Lots of things to think about….thanks for reading!